Call for a quote:
0844 800 0944
Please note: Calls to this number cost 7p per minute,
plus your phone company's access charge.
Existing customers:
0344 800 0966
Get a quote » Retrieve a quote »
Renew Online | Policy Documents | Providing NCB Proof | Contact Us


 We understand that insurance can sometimes be difficult. As the experts, it's our job to make it as simple as possible.

We've taken our most frequently asked questions and put together straightforward, jargon free answers to get you the information you need right away.

If you can't find the answers you're looking for, contact us and we'll do our best to help

Getting a quote
Administration and payment
No Claims Bonus
Bike Licences
Changes or cancellations
Will my bike insurance be renewed at the end of the policy?


Getting a quote

How do I get a quote?

You can get a quote online via our secure website. Alternatively contact us and one of our insurance representatives will be able to help.

Can I save money by getting a bike insurance quote from you?

Yes, you could. We search our leading panel of UK bike insurers to bring you our best cover at our very best price.

Is there anything I can do to reduce my bike insurance quote?

Yes, there are a number of ways that you might be able to reduce your motorcycle insurance premium, for example:

  • Fit a bike alarm
  • Keep your motorbike garaged at night
  • Take an advanced riding qualification

Obviously the type of bike you have will affect your bike insurance quote, for example; a sporty bike is likely to attract a bigger premium.

What detail will I need to provide?

It will help to have the below information to hand:

  • Full details of the make and model of your motorcycle(s)
  • The year your motorcycle was made and the registration number
  • The approximate value of the motorcycle
  • The date you bought your bike
  • Details of any modifications to your bike
  • Details of any claims, convictions or accidents
  • Details of any additional riders
  • Details of any security devices on the bike(s)

Can you give me a motorcycle insurance quote for any type of bike?

We are able to offer cover for most makes and models of bikes. We cannot quote for trikes.

If you have a classic bike or imported scooter please contact us and one of our insurance representatives will be able to advise whether we can offer you a quote.

Can I cover additional riders on my motorbike insurance?

Yes, you can cover up to five riders on the same bike insurance policy.

Can you quote for a multi-bike insurance policy online?

No, you will need to contact us to obtain a multi-bike insurance quote.

Do you quote for bikes with modifications?

Yes. We have wide range of modifications that we can cover as standard. These are listed below:

  • Disability Adapted
  • Air filter changes - max value of £50
  • Bar ends - max value of £30
  • Braided hoses - max value of £100
  • Decals / stickers (not race replica)
  • Grippers - max value of £30
  • Heated grips - max value of £75
  • Huggers - max value of £200
  • Lights /Indicators/ Mirrors - max value of £75
  • Scott oilers - max value of £200
  • Screen changes - max value £100
  • Seat replacement/ Changes - max value of £100
  • Seat cowl / Single seat units - max value of £200
  • Sissy Bars (long back rest) - max value of £200
  • Tail Tidy - max value of £100
  • Tank Pad - max value of £30

If your modification is not listed as standard we may still be able to provide you with a quote by phone as some of our insurers cover more extensive modifications on a like-for-like basis. If you can't find your modification or if you have any doubts please contact us and one of our helpful representatives will be able to help.

It is important to declare all modifications to your insurer as failure to do so could result in your policy being invalidated and your claim not being paid.

What insurance group is my motorbike?

Our insurer panel use different rating systems so it isn't possible to answer this question accurately. Insurers can attribute a rating factor from anything between 1 and 50, so your bike could be a group 18 with one insurer and 46 with another.

Back to top


Administration and payment

If I apply online will my bike insurance give me instant cover?

Yes, your motorcycle insurance cover will start from the moment your payment is accepted.

How quickly will I receive my insurance documentation?

Confirmation of your insurance policy will be sent to you by email or post within two working days. Your Terms of Business, Statement of Facts, Schedule and Certificate of Insurance will be available to download from the email. Our policy documents are available to download straightaway at

How will I know that my insurance has been purchased and is in force?

We will send you a confirmation email once you have completed your online purchase and your payment has been accepted. You will then receive your insurance documents by email or post within two working days.

Can you email my insurance certificate directly to the garage where I'm purchasing my bike?

Yes we certainly can.

How can I pay for my bike insurance? 

Annual payment

You can choose to pay for your insurance in full via debit or credit card.

By Direct Debit 

You can choose to pay monthly by Direct Debit credit agreement through our third party premium finance provider, Premium Credit Limited (PCL). Please note: under 18's will require permission to set up any Direct Debits under a parent or guardian's name.

PCL are authorised by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) to provide finance to customers in respect of insurance premiums.

Phone: 0344 736 9836
Post: Premium Credit Limited, Ermyn House, Ermyn Way, Leatherhead, KT22 8UX

Please note: MotorCycle Direct is acting as a credit broker and not a lender. We only introduce you to PCL for the arrangement of Direct Debit credit agreements. You do not pay us anything for this service. Instead, you pay interest on the amount loaned to you by PCL, known as a Transaction Fee.

Transaction Fee
You will pay a Transaction Fee for each transaction added to your PCL account. You will be told which rate applies to you before you submit your application for credit. This information will also be included in your PCL Welcome Pack.

Credit Searches
When you apply to pay by Direct Debit credit agreement, PCL will search public information that credit reference agencies hold about you and use this to assess whether they will lend to you. If they decline your application, they will let you know and inform you of the credit reference agency they used.

PCL Welcome Pack
The PCL Welcome Pack contains important information about your Direct Debit credit agreement. This includes information about PCL, the terms and costs of the potential finance product and the comparable costs of the financing so you can make an informed decision about whether to proceed. Documents included in the pack are Pre-contract Explanations and your Credit Agreement which will confirm all the details of your Direct Debit credit agreement including the Annual Percentage Rate so you can compare this with other types of lending.

Annual Percentage Rate (APR)
The APR shows all the credit-related charges that apply to your credit agreement expressed as an annual rate of charge.

Managing my Direct Debit
If you have chosen to pay for your insurance by Direct Debit, you must register online with PCL and sign your credit agreement.

To register for your online account and to find out how to sign your credit agreement, visit

If you do not sign your Direct Debit credit agreement online, PCL will make a £10 charge.

Back to top


No Claims Bonus

What is No Claims Bonus and do I need to provide proof?

No Claims Bonus (NCB) is a way of giving safer riders our best price. For every year you continuously hold insurance and don't have any claims that are classed as your fault, you may get a discount on your premium. The more years claim free that you have, the more discount you may receive.

When you get a quote, you'll be asked how many years NCB you have. If you are eligible for a discount, this will be reflected in your premium.

You will need to provide proof of your NCB. We'd like to see your latest renewal invitation or cancellation letter from your last insurer, and ask that it:

  • Be in the name of the policyholder
  • Be less than two years old
  • Show the number of years claim free
  • Have been earned in the last three years.

Is the No Claims Bonus I had on a previous motorcycle insurance policy still valid, even if the policy lapsed several years ago?

We have insurance companies on our panel that accept a No Claims Bonus that is up to three years old. To find out more, please contact us.

Can my No Claims Bonus from another country be used with you?

Normally, as long as it is from a European country, and is written in English on headed paper with a start/end date on it.

Can I use the NCB from my car when I purchase motorbike insurance?

No, although some insurers may offer an introduction discount subject to criteria. For more information, please contact us.

Do I need to declare claims from my car policy?

Yes, as these are a part of your motor driving history.

Back to top



Do you offer a range of motorcycle insurance covers?

Yes, we offer Comprehensive bike insurance as well as Third Party, Fire and Theft (TPFT) and Third Party Only (TPO). We also provide a SORN insurance solution.

Do you offer optional covers so I can tailor-make my motorcycle insurance?

Yes, we offer a wide range of Optional Extras which you can add to your insurance to tailor it to your specific needs. These include:

  • UK Breakdown
  • Key Protection
  • Legal Expenses
  • Personal Accident
  • Helmet & Leathers
  • Bike Hire
  • Excess Protect

Can I add these optional covers at any time?

Yes, you can contact us and ask to add optional covers at any time during the life of your policy.

Does my motorcycle insurance cover me for riding other bikes?

Your policy may cover you to ride other bikes, subject to the level of insurance you have selected, your age, your occupation and the type of bike. You should check at the time you take out your policy and it will be shown on your insurance certificate.

Does my motorcycle insurance cover me for riding abroad?

Your policy will automatically allow you to ride in any countries that are part of the European Union for a period of up to one month in any one trip. It does not cover you for travel outside of the European Union.

Each insurer applies different terms to motorcycling abroad so it's best to contact us to ensure you know exactly what you're covered for. We can arrange for our Insurance Whilst Abroad option to be added to your policy and we will supply you with a Green Card so you are covered for certain countries outside the European Union. This cover is available at an additional charge.

What is Continuous Insurance Enforcement?

As part of the Continuous Insurance Enforcement it is now a legal requirement to have continuous insurance in place, unless the bike has been declared SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification), even if your bike is off the road. For more information about CIE and the exceptions and penalties in place, visit

Back to top


Bike Licences

Can I ride a 50cc Moped on my Car Licence?

  • If you passed your driving test before 1st February 2001 you can use your full UK car licence as a provisional licence to ride a 50cc moped. You will need to complete a CBT test to ride anything over 50cc.
  • If you passed your car driving test after 1st February 2001 you will need at least a completed CBT to ride a bike of up to 125cc even with L Plates.

If you do not have a full motorbike licence, we must receive your CBT certificate within 30 days of the policy start date. Failure to send this will result in the cancellation of your policy.

What does a full motorcycle licence allow me to ride?

Before anyone can learn to drive a car, moped or motorcycle they must apply for a provisional licence. On completion of the relevant test they will be issued with a certificate, which is returned to the DVLA along with the licence so that it can be amended to include the required entitlements.

UK driving licences are valid from the age of 16. At the age of 70 the licence will need to be renewed every 3 years.

On 19th January 2013 a change in regulation resulted in changes to the capacities and some age ranges.

Bike Licences infographic.

Back to top


Changes or cancellations

What happens if I need to make changes to my bike insurance?

It is important that you notify us of any changes to your circumstances or if you change your bike, as soon as possible. Failure to do so could invalidate your insurance and result in your claim not being paid. To update your policy please contact us.

Please note. Changes to your policy will incur an administration fee of up to £50. Your premium may also be adjusted.

What if I want to cancel my bike insurance?

You have a 14 day cooling off period during which you are able to cancel your policy. If you cancel during the cooling off period you will be charged the premium for the time you have held your policy, assuming there has been no incident, plus a charge of up to £25 which covers our administration with the insurer.

If cover hasn't started you will be entitled to a full refund of the premium you have paid, less our administration charge of up to £25.

If you are cancelling outside of the cooling off period you will be charged the premium for the time you have held your policy, again assuming there is no incident, plus and administration charge of up to £50. Our charges are in addition to any charge imposed by your insurer.

Please note, any optional extras that run alongside your policy will also be cancelled.

Please contact us before cancelling to discuss your refund. For more information on cancelling your policy, please refer to our Terms of Business.

Back to top


Will my bike insurance be renewed at the end of the policy?

Regardless of whether you paid for your bike by monthly direct debit or in one full payment last year, your policy will automatically be renewed on the same payment basis unless we hear otherwise from you. We will send you a renewal invitation showing your new renewal price with enough time to make an informed decision about your renewal prior to the end of your current insurance.

Back to top



What should I do if I need to claim?

In the event of a claim, please contact us as soon as you can. The claims department will gather all the information required to process your claim.

If you need to make a claim on one of your optional extras, then call the relevant number below:

Breakdown Assistance 0800 917 0817
Bike Hire 0344 800 0988
Key Protection 0333 241 9574
Legal Expenses 0344 800 0988
Helmet & Leathers 01608 641 351
Personal Accident 01608 641 351
Excess Protect 01737 815 404

Once we have taken all the relevant information, your claim will be passed over to your insurer to process.

Do I need to notify you even if I don't intend to claim?

Yes. You should tell us about any incident so we can deal with potential claims from another party and update your policy details to reflect this.

Do I need to notify the police?

You must report any incident that involves vehicle theft, attempted theft or malicious damage within 48 hours. You should also report any accident involving injuries or where another party does not stop. The police will give you an incident number that we will need when you make your claim.

Back to top



Our customer complaints procedure

At MotorCycle Direct, our aim is to get everything right, first time, every time. If a mistake is made we aim to put it right quickly. To start the process of reporting a complaint all you need to do is phone, e-mail or write to the contact details below:

Telephone: 0344 800 0966
Write to: MotorCycle Direct, Europa House, Midland Way, Thornbury, Bristol, BS35 2JX

Once your complaint has been received it will be treated with the highest importance.

What happens next?

Within five working days we will:

  • Write or e-mail you to confirm that we've received your complaint
  • Try to deal with your complaint straight away, but if we need to investigate further in order to resolve the problem:

Within four weeks we aim to:

  • Give you a Final Response to the complaint, with all the reasons for the actions or decisions, along with details of the Financial Ombudsman Service; OR
  • Explain why it is not yet possible to give you a Final Response, and let you know when we will be ready to do so.

We hope that our response will never exceed eight weeks but should it do so, we will explain why it has not been possible to give you a Final Response, and let you know when we will be ready to do so. At this point we will also advise you of your rights under the Financial Ombudsman Service.

The Financial Ombudsman Service

This is a free, independent service for resolving complaints about most financial matters.*

If you're not happy with our Final Response to your complaint, or with the reasons given for any delays beyond eight weeks, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service using the details below:

Telephone: 0800 0234567 / 0300 123 9123
Write to: The Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, London, E14 9SR

Any complaint referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service needs to be made within six months of the date of the Final Response. It is possible that your complaint may not be eligible for referral to the Financial Ombudsman Service. If so, one of their staff will still be able to advise you on your options, or you might prefer to seek your own professional or legal advice.


The European Commission has an online dispute resolution service for consumers who have a complaint about a product or service bought online. If you choose to submit your complaint this way it will be forwarded to the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Click here to access the Online Dispute Resolution Service. Please quote our e-mail address:

Alternatively, you can contact the Financial Ombudsman Service directly.

Back to top



How can I contact you?

Visit our Contact Us page for the different contact options.