Bike Licences

Please click on a question below to reveal the answer.

  • If you passed your driving test before 1st February 2001 you can use your full UK car licence as a provisional licence to ride a 50cc moped. You will need to complete a CBT test to ride anything over 50cc.
  • If you passed your car driving test after 1st February 2001 you will need at least a completed CBT to ride a bike of up to 125cc even with L Plates.
  • If you do not have a full motorbike licence, we must receive your CBT certificate within 30 days of the policy start date. Failure to send this will result in the cancellation of your policy.
  • Before anyone can learn to drive a car, moped or motorcycle they must apply for a provisional licence. On completion of the relevant test they will be issued with a certificate, which is returned to the DVLA along with the licence so that it can be amended to include the required entitlements.
  • UK driving licences are valid from the age of 16. At the age of 70 the licence will need to be renewed every 3 years.
  • On 19th January 2013 a change in regulation resulted in changes to the capacities and some age ranges.

Check out our Bike Licence Information Sheet.